It is that wonderful time of the year again…the Holidays! This special time of the year where you spend memorable moments with family and friends, celebrate the New Year and enjoy an abundance of delicious food and desert. There are parties and dinners to attend and overindulgence on food at these events might cause you to gain a pound or two by year-end! Year after year the extra couple of pounds keep adding up without you even realizing it.
Here are some tips to continue to have an amazing time at these parties and dinners without gaining a pound:
1) Prepare Reduced Calorie Food: Give your traditional foods a makeover by preparing reduced calorie versions of the traditional foods. You can even mix it up and serve some low calorie non-traditional foods.
2) Avoid Skipping Meals: Eat your breakfast and make sure that you don’t skip a meal before dinner. If you are going to a party and feeling hungry, have a low-calorie nutritious snack before you go to help curb your appetite.
3) Exercise: Get your workout in the morning and stay active during the day. Talk a walk before and after meals, if possible.
4) Drink Plenty of Water: Make sure that you stay hydrated throughout the day. Have a drink of water before dinner, especially if you are hungry.
5) Eat Smaller Portions: Don’t deprive yourself of your favorites, just eat smaller portions and make sure that you skip a second serving. Use the smallest plate available and don’t stack your food.
6) Chew Slowly: Chew slowly and spend more time chatting with your family and friends. The more air you swallow between bites, the more full you will feel.
7) Get Plenty of Sleep: Stick to your normal sleep routine around the Holidays regardless of how busy you are. Recent studies show that sleep deprivation appears to increase the likelihood of weight gain.
The Holidays are about celebrating with family and friends and creating wonderful memories. Enjoy the Holidays as you spend time with your loved ones…