This easy, healthy and tasty Saffron Shrimp Rice is a very simple and delicious meal in a bowl.
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 small chopped onion
• 2 chopped garlic cloves
• 1 cup rice
• 2 cups low sodium vegetable stock
• ½ cup frozen peas
• 1 cup water
• ½ teaspoon saffron or turmeric
• ½ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
• ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
• 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
• In a small pot, add rice, saffron and vegetable stock. Bring the rice to a boil for about 2 minutes. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer for about 15 – 18 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the rice using a fork.
• In a small pot, add water and peas. Bring to a broil for about 2 minutes. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer for about 5 minutes. Drain the water from the peas.
• Prepare the shrimp and dry with paper towels.
• In a large deep skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of oil over high heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until translucent about 3 – 4 minutes.
• Stir in salt and black pepper, sauté for one more minute.
• Add shrimp and cook for about 1 minute on each side.
• Remove shrimp from heat, stir in rice and peas.
• Taste and add salt and/or pepper if necessary.
• Leftovers will keep refrigerated for 5 days.
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 143.75 Calories, 17.85g Carbohydrates, 0mg Cholesterol, 6.95g Fat, 91mg Potassium, 2.33g Protein, and 360.88mg Sodium